Monday, July 28, 2014

What Pacifism is Not

What Non-Violence is Not
Once there was a small Indian village dominated by an evil snake. He bit so many people that few dared enter the fields less he strike and kill them. One day a traveling monk entered the village and encountered the snake. The holy one talked calmly to the snake and eventually tamed him. He persuaded the snake to practice the art of nonviolence. Well, it did not take the villagers long to see the snake had become harmless, and soon all the men, women and children took to hurling stones at the snake and dragging it around the village by his tail.

On his annual return to the village, the holy one found the snake bruised and beaten, lying in a ditch on the side of the road. "My friend, whatever has happened to you?" the holy one asked. The snake replied, "I've been passive and gentle and uncomplaining like you told me to be, and look what they have done to me." "Oh dear," the holy one replied, "I told you only to stop hurting. I never said to stop hissing."


No comments:

Post a Comment